Dear Sunday School Teacher
I know you are a bit overwhelmed trying to navigate what life should look like during this Coronavirus. With school schedules, work responsibilities and family life in disarray, it's easy to set aside your church volunteering responsibilities but here are 6 quick ways you can continue to teach and invest in little lives while home and doing your part to prevent a spreading virus.
1. PRAY for the kids on your roll-by name. Call out each individual name to our Heavenly Father. Picture each face as you pray, asking God to bring comfort, peace, healing, and joy. Pray for their parents, too...maybe a whole lot!
2. WRITE to your kids. Send each an individual note and let them know you are thinking about them and praying for them. Include a question about the last Sunday School Bible lesson you taught or a question and the verses for the lesson this next week. If you have access to any Bible lesson activity pages or worksheets, mail those with your note. Adding a joke is optional but sure appreciated. Find cute jokes here: https://redtri.com/best-jokes-for-kids/slide/1
3. Make PHONE calls to any of your class guests from the past six months. Use the current crisis as a springboard to check on kids and their families. Many of your previous guests may be kids whose families are not plugged into a faith community. This provides a great chance to share with them your church's response to the virus and what your church is offering in spiritual growth for this time.
4. VIDEO your Bible lesson for this Sunday and send it out to all of your kids. Be sure to keep it upbeat and fun. Your example shows Bible teaching and spiritual growth is a priority-no matter what is going on in the world.
5. Depending on the age of your class members, USE APPS such as GroupME, WhatsAPP, or SLACK or Social Media groups such as on FACEBOOK to create a group for your kids and their parents. Host a Bible Trivia Contest on a particular day and time. Award small prizes to winners (toilet paper anyone?) -be sure to mail the prizes as soon as you are able.
6. Encourage FAMILY MEMORIES with a Photo Challenge! Ask families to take crazy pictures and post them in whatever platform you use. For instance: Post a video of your family singing a hand washing song or post a picture of your family gathered in the smallest place possible in your house.
7. In every interaction with your kids, REMIND them of God's love and thoughts toward us. His care toward us exceeds any and every crisis we may face-
How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I awake, I am still with You.
I know you gifted, dedicated teachers also have some secret sauce you are using to keep up with your Sunday Schoo kids, please let me know! Let's encourage each other as we love the kids God has entrusted to us.
Booking your Sunday School leadership Fall Training Event?
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
I stinking love to equip kids ministry volunteers to serve!